The swim camp weekend is over. I thought about and talked about the good and bad of the past weekend. I'll start with the good.
1) Very casual environment. There was a definite attitude of swimming when you want, how much you want and with whoever you want.
2) There were NO egos there. Many world class OW swimmers were there and not one of the people at the camp thought or acted AT ALL like anyone was superior or inferior to anyone. We all celebrated each other's swims and abilities no matter what they were.
3) Great people there and good friendships were established. I met many people there that I can't wait to see again and swim with again.
4) No secrets about anything. People were willing to share any and all tips about training, feedings, planned swims, goals, etc etc. Everyone was open about all they are doing with swimming.
5) Good food. Food was plentiful and shared freely. I was never hungry at the camp or had to worry I was unwelcomingly taking from someone.
6) Jamie was so laid back about everything that he just started having to tell people, "Whatever it is you want, the answer is YES. Just go do it". Jamie was a great host and you felt very welcome and wanted while you were there.
1) The swim out at Clearlake wasn't planned well. Some problems came up that I feel could have easily been avoided.
2) Dogs. Some pets are well behaved, and others are not. I have specificaly not named people or animals that didn't behave that great because I don't want to throw them under the bus but if you can't control your animal, they shouldn't come. I'd prefer a no pet policy for future swim camps.
3) Several of us got red bumps/blisters all over our arms and backs from something in the water. THIS IS IN NO WAY JAMIE PATRICK'S FAULT!!!!! I can't stress that enough. It did happen and it caused us discomfort. Something was in the water and made many of us itchy and scratchy freaks that were always picking at ourselves.
Overall I had an amazing time and I sincerely hope that it is at Lake Tahoe next year. Jamie and Karen talked it up something fierce but no words can do justice for how beautiful that lake is. I won't hesitate to tell people to try the camp out no matter what their OW ability is.
My overall grade is an A-