Monday, February 20, 2012

20Feb12

I got a message last night from the Outrider boat regarding dates available for a Catalina Channel Crossing.  A spot was open and it will work perfect with the moon phase and days I can take so I grabbed it.  It's official folks, on the 26th of June this year I'm swimming the Catalina Channel!!!  I was excited, scared, nervous, anxious and a whole other range of emotions yesterday. It's here, it's really here.  I'm going to do a channel swim!
I now have to work logistics with people and the channel federation and a bunch of other stuff that needs to be done.  Training will go up a notch too so I'm completely ready for it.
Speaking training, I got up at 0400 (on my day off none the less) and Kim picked me up at 0420.  We drove to Bountiful where we met with Gords and Josh.  We all wanted to get a good distance swim in today.
Kim and I wanted 10k, Josh wanted 10 miles and Gords was going for 20!...STUD!
Kim and I did 5 x 2000 sets.  Rest and gels/fluids between sets.  We both finished with a lot of time to spare but both our shoulders were pretty cooked so we called it.  Goal met, no need to push it and make it angry!
Did whole swim including breaks, pictures and other stops for various reasons in about 3 hours.  I was taking my sweet time and just was focusing on my stroke and getting the distance done.  Before today, the longest I've done for the year has been 6k so it was quite a jump.
Gords, Josh, me, and Kim

Felt great when done.
10,000 total

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! I'm excited for your Catalina swim! Great job this morning! Thanks for the stroke analysis, I tried to work on it after you left.

    ReplyDelete