Monday, January 16, 2012

16Jan12 - keeping my New Years resolution

I had planned on getting up at 0530 to get a good breakfast in me.  When the alarm went off, I decided to sleep until 0600.  That turned into 0630 when I HAD to get out of bed.  I didn't eat anything and just packed my gear and headed to the OAC.  I met Kim at 0700 with a 5k swim planned.
We did 5 x 1000 with a short rest between sets.  My energy was NOT there today.  My arms were stiff for about 1500 and by the time they finally relaxed, I was slowing down!  Each pull was an effort within itself to just keep on going through the follow-through.
At the 2k rest, I ate a small amount of a Cliff bar and kept thinking, "Screw this!  I'm ready to go home.  This is just not me today".  When I was halfway through my 3rd 1000, the primary thing I kept thinking about was how much I wanted to bag it and go home.  If Kim wasn't there, the temptation would have been even more intense.  I kept reminding myself to just keep going and about my New Years resolution to never quit a workout early just because I'm "tired".
So the 3rd and 4th 1k, I was half thinking of how much I wanted to go home and the other half was spent thinking about how I should just slug it out and finish regardless.
Reason won out and I finished my 5k.  I'm glad I got the yards in but man, I NEVER got comfortable or even felt close to being motivated to go fast.  There was just nothing in my tank today and it showed.
I have to discipline myself better and force myself up on Saturdays early to eat instead of sleeping.  The extra hour was NOT worth it and it showed.
Lesson learned!
On a positive note, Kim was swimming fantastic today.  She was the polar opposite of me.  She was full of energy and was swimming extremely well today.  She lapped me at least once every set.  Great job buddy!
5k today!

No comments:

Post a Comment