Wednesday, May 4, 2011

4May11

Skipped the pool today and instead met with Josh and Gords at the Great Salt Lake.  I have never swam there before and wanted to give it a try.  The water was 60 so it was perfect.  Getting in was a bit tough but once I got acclimated, the water felt GREAT.  I'm used to swimming in salty water from so many miles at Virginia Beach but the salt content did take me by surprise.  It was HORRIBLE.  I had to make a conscious effort to breathe out of my nose more than my mouth and not let ANY water near the back of my throat.  My lips and togue did swell up some but it was not very bad.  It was also a bit fun being able to be SO boyant.  You can sit on the water like you are on a pool chair and your legs and chest float right out of the water!
We had planned on only doing 1/2 mile but once we got to the 1/2 mile spot, I felt so good that I wanted to go the long way back instead of heading in.  The Josh and Gords felt the same and we ended up doing around 1 mile.  It felt REAL good to get some distance in the open water.  We only did one mile but if time was permitting, I think we all could have easily gone for several more.  We'll have to plan for that next time.  I want to do 3-5 next time.
Josh had a photographer out there for a newspaper/state park rep.  I'm looking forward to see how those pics come out.
I definitely plan on trying for another swim this week.

1 comment:

  1. Like the new look on your site. Congrats on getting your hundred.

    If you go Sat afternoon I'd like to join you.

    ReplyDelete