Thursday, June 13, 2013

12Jun13 - GSL Mile

Met Gordon at the Saltair Marina at 0615.  We chatted a bit while greasing and getting our ID key rings put into place.  It was a beautiful day to be at the lake.  Water was calm and we figured it was about 71 degrees as we got in.
Gords and me

 We went down the "beach" side instead of the boat ramp.  Gords wanted to do longer loops and I still want to stay near the marina just in case.  My apprehension of being alone out there is almost gone but as long as there is at least 1% of uncertainty of my ability out there, I'm going to play it safe.  I keep reminding myself, it would look REAL bad if the safety officer for SLOW drowned or had to be rescued!
I swam out to a red buoy that was a few hundred yards away with Gordon.  He turned west and I turned back to the marina.  There is a line of red buoys that go parallel to the marina and shallow water isn't far away.  I just swam back down the buoy line past several of them then turning around and repeating.  I went back and forth a few times until I was sure I had gone over a mile.
When I was swimming, a few things crossed my mind.
1. Man, this salt stings!  I'm not accustomed to it like I have been before.  My tongue is already mad at me and stings like crazy.
2. My goggles got a tiny bit of water in them and my eye burned really bad.  Once again I'm soft!
3. My breathing is HORRIBLE.  I kept forgetting to alter my breathing pattern and technique and paid the price for it.
Despite these complaints, my overriding thought was I AM SO GLAD I'M DOING THIS.  I haven't done a mile in GSL in a LONG time and she is just welcoming me back!  The things people complain about the most often are the things I have grown to love the most about the GSL.
I felt really good after a mile but needed to get going.  I definitely feel ready for a Gridley Straight soon.  I'll need someone with me but I know I can do it.
Yesterday Gordon passed 300 accumulated miles in the GSL.  This amazes me and makes me wonder how many miles I've accumulated.  I honestly have no idea.  I know he has the most ever by far but I'm pretty sure I'm 2nd for most miles accumulated.    Congrats buddy!

1 mile OW

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! That water is sure something else but conquering it does feel great!
    I don't swim alone, especially GSL because of the swells it gets. One time a wind storm came out of nowhere and all of the sudden I was surrounded in 6ft swells. If Josh hadn't been there I don't know what I would have done.
    I guess I'd swim Blackridge alone but that's just a pond so pretty safe and small.
    I'm glad to hear things are improving for you. What a great example you are to me!

    ReplyDelete