Thursday, December 8, 2011

8Dec11

Another week in the WFPBC in the books!  I can't get there any earlier than 1630 and that is normally when Gords and Josh are getting in.  I got a text from Josh asking if I was coming and when I called him back to tell him I was doing 90 MPH on I-80, he didn't pick up.
 
I arrived to see Josh already in a towel and Gords coming in.  I'll admit I was a tiny bit disappointed that I wasn't there when they got in.  There's just something nice about us all getting miserable at the same time I guess.  I did, FOR ONE SECOND, foolishly think that maybe they'll just call it good and I might skip this week.  Unfortunately at that EXACT second I had that thought, Gords yells, "You're up bro"!  I have been sick the past few days and knew I wouldn't actually go for a swim but rather just get in and splash around some.  I quickly stripped naked in front of the entire Wasatch Valley and put on my Speedo and goggles.  Josh filmed me running into the water then diving under.  Once I was under I turned around and started heading out.  All I wanted to do considering how I felt was accomplished.  If I had felt better, I would have stayed in for at least a minute like I normally do but I was okay with just 20 seconds...if that!  The temp was just under 40.  Ahhhh nice and COLD!

Gords, Josh, and I are getting a little "weary" of being the only ones that show up each week.  Granted, what we do is EXTREMELY painful but there is something to it that brings satisfaction as a swimmer that we wish others could experience.  I don't mind so much that people don't show but what I DO mind is when people are asking when we meet, say they'll be there or try to be there, and then it's just the 3 of us as usual.  If people don't want to come then it's fine.  Just don't "pretend" you'd ever do it then not show up.  That is what is bugging me so much and I'm sure it's at least a part of what bugs Josh and Gords too.  Gords is even offering a cash prize "bribe" and I'm seriously considering contributing also.
I feel a sense of pride lately when I wear my WFPBC hoodie because I know I've paid the price for it.  Not with money (Thanks for the BD present again Gords!), but with actually DOING what it says on the hoodie.  The 3 of us always look happy wearing it because we have earned it.  I just wish more would at least make a shot at it.
One thing I say repeatedly to people when I coach them is, "If you never leave your comfort zone, you'll NEVER improve".  We go well beyond our comfort zone each week and it WILL pay off when the spring comes and the water is 55 degrees and we think it's literally a JOKE when people complain that it's too cold to swim in when we are actually thinking it's warm.  THAT is what it takes and that is what we are doing and we love it.
I'll step down now from my box...I hope this cold is completely gone by tomorrow because I want to get back in the pool and crank out some more yards.  I'm starting to get a small itch to swim more and I want it to grow before I take too much time off and it goes away....again.

No comments:

Post a Comment